[TowerTalk] Preserving Guy cables

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Preserving Guy cables
From: "Roger Kissel" <kc8hz@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 20:05:46 -0500
Hi all

I used to have a guyed tower and after maybe 10 years the guy cable started
to rust. I disremember what type of cable it was, tho I bought it at a local
(reputable) industrial supply house.  After close to 20 years the tower
still stood but the cable was looking kinda ratty.

I have since moved and am going to put up a new tower and have been thinking
about how to preserve the guy cable. I  know about Phillystran but am not
willing to spend all the $$$$ to buy it.

As we all know, steel rusts. Ziebart has made a big business in preserving
cars from rusting. Their primary ingredient is linseed oil. I have been
thinking about soaking the coil of guy in a bucket of warm linseed so it
seeps into the nooks and crannies of the cable. This should effectively
passivate the cable for quite a few years.

Any thoughts on this ?

Roger
KC8HZ

Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com Football Page
www.live.com/?addtemplate=football&icid=T001MSN30A0701