Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)

To: "Richard W. Solomon" <>,<>, "Jim Lux" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)
From: <>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 12:11:44 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lux" <>
To: <>; "Richard W. Solomon" <>;
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:10 AM

>>2.    Your tower ought to have at least one ground wire, minimum of #8
>>gauge wire, to one ground rod within two feet of each tower leg.  The
>>latest version of the National Electrical Code mandates two ground rods
>>and two wires at each leg.
> Really?  Which code? The 2005 NEC is silent on towers, per se.  Art 810.15
> says masts and metal structures shall be grounded in accordance with
> 810.21.  810.21 just has the stuff about the size of the wire, straight
> line runs, protection of the connections, and what can serve as a
> grounding electrode.
> Art 820 (CATV etc) has very similar provisions.
> Maybe you're thinking of some lightning protection code? Or a
> recommendation of a manufacturer?
> Jim, W6RMK

     I'm pretty sure I read about these new grounding requirements in the
latest (2008) proposed NEC here on TowerTalk within the past six months or
so.  I can't just yet find that reference in the archives.  I'll do more
searching and report back to the reflector.  But I'm just as certain what I
read was not something from a manufacturer.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F