[TowerTalk] Coax Connectors

Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Connectors
From: Dennis OConnor <>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:23:37 -0800 (PST)
An excellent write up Dick, by a obviously experienced ham...
  Now, having noted that; let me comment that by the time you wait on the
solder gun to get hot enough to tin the braid on the first end I will have both
connectors crimped on and the tools put back away, the coax hooked up to the
gear, and be sitting around heckling you...
  Like many I have resisted crimped connectors in my ham shack for decades
while using them on my airplanes...  I finally woke up and smelled the coffeee
(tea in my case)... I bought a good crimper tool, a set of dies, coax stripper
and some connectors... Started redoing the very old, hodgepodge, cabling on my
station in preparation for the new Orion, etc., - in the old days it would have
taken me most of the afternoon to make up the jumpers, with the crimper setup
in less than an hour I had installed 20 connectors, recabled the radios into
the new configuration, and was done... I just ordered another batch of
connectors in preparation for a new set of antenna arrays with remote
  If you do more than 3 PL259's a year you need a crimper...
  denny / k8do

Do You Yahoo!?