Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)

To: "Robert G. Strickland" <>,<>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 00:25:13 -0500

> [I apologize if this is a dupe]
>>Hello, all...
> Being more of a beginner than an expert, and following this thread - and
> others - leaves me with questions "sort of" unanswered. Modeling lightning
> strike wave forms and calculating impulse energy/duration, while
> necessary,
> is still a bit removed from "okay, here's the tower, now what do I do?" I
> may be putting up a tower at a very high point that is <guaranteed> to
> take
> direct strikes. My kids across the road from my prospective QTH get
> <direct> hits on their wood fram house several times during the summer
> season. I've been at their house when it was hit [they have an extensive,
> somewhat traditional house grounding system], and for those unfamiliar
> with
> such an event, it is VERY impressive. Given direct hits, what's the plan?
> Discussions of big versus small strikes seems besides the point. A direct

Big versus little is quite relevant as all strikes may be big, but some are
a *LOT* bigger than others.
My tower takes a number of hits every year.

> hit is BIG regardless of its relative size.
> Disconnecting the equipment seems obvious. That done, is there a consensus

I rarely disconnect anything in the house and have had no damage since
finishing the ground system.

In addition to reading the Polyphaser page I'd read the one by W8ji He has a large instalation on a
mountain top and he doesn't sell lightning protection equipment.

> Also, carry insurance regardless of the grounding system [Murphy's Law].

Insurance may or may not cover lightning damage. Check your policy to be

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2 (Use return address from home page)