Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)

To: "'Phil Camera'" <kb9cry@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 11:24:10 -0500
One clarification the the below statements. The "single point ground" often
gets misused in these discussions. A single point ground is NOT a place or
spot in the earth but it is a point of common connection which can be
anywhere designated.

In the description below the single point ground should be the panel where
the arrestors are mounted. ALL suppressors should be mounted directly to
this single panel. You don't want multiple panels with separate ground rods
to handle this function.
This includes coax cable suppressors, rotor line suppressors and power line
suppressors for power that feeds the equipment in your shack. They all need
to be on the same (heavy) panel. Then ground straps are run from this single
point ground panel to the ground system which should be located as close as
possible.

The whole idea of a single point ground is to have a place to tie all lines
together with zero impedance between them. You can run as many grounds to
earth from that point as you desire. But all cables entering the shack must
be physically mounted to that single point ground panel.

73
Gary  K4FMX