Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter Inverted L

To: "W0TMM" <W0TMM@NC.RR.COM>,"Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter Inverted L
From: "Chuck Lewis" <clewis@knology.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:37:45 -0600
John,

Take a look at the "All-Band Center-Fed Inverted-L" on L.B. Cebik's website:
http://www.cebik.com/wire/ltv.html

It's nothing but your Inverted-Vee rotated in-plane by 45 degrees...65+/-
feet horizontal and 65+/- vertical; still center-fed. I use coax (with a
current balun at the feedpoint) rather than open wire or ladderline  because
the losses at 80M are pretty small, the 80M feedpoint impedance is pretty
good anyway, and I only use it on 80M. The thing plays incredibly well and
the best news is that it needs no ground plane. It's a reasonable mix of
low- and high- angle performance, and I work just about everything I can
hear; that may say something about the receive capability, but for a quick
and dirty omnidirectional low effort 80M antenna, it gets my vote. If your
vertical support is less than 65 feet high, just bend the lower end of the
vertical segment at a safe height (HV here!); it'll slightly affect the az
and el patterns, but not enough to matter much. Best of all, you already
have it!

73,
Chuck, N4NM