Re: [TowerTalk] lightning vs insurance

To: <jerryc@clinchrivercorp.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning vs insurance
From: "Trent and Lorraine" <vk4ti@sampson.net.au>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 07:38:01 +1000
Greetings All

As insurance brokers here in VK www.sampson.net.au  I am quite amazed at the
cost of the Florida premiums, a standard policy that covers towers and
related damage and liability up to $20M and the home (say$350,000) and Tax
Audit insurance ($20K) and cover for board member of non profit
organisations e.g. Radio Club is under $1000 AUD..
On the lightning matter: In a previous life I was a two way technician. Over
ten years the best site for NO Strikes we had was a solar site that had a
guyed tower and no ground mat. This site was on the top of the highest
mountain in the district. The worst site had a complex ground and power
lines and mazes of protection and at least 1000ft lower in the same range
i.e. the soil types were the same. This worse of the two was struck on
average once a quarter..Maybe it was just good luck ??

Trent Sampson
[PO Box 1647 Toowoomba Qld 4350]  VK4TI