Re: [TowerTalk] High Power / Low Power ? / better antenna

To: "Randy Molyneaux (ve5 rjm)" <ve5rjm@hotmail.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High Power / Low Power ? / better antenna
From: "D. Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 20:21:37 -0500
As I recall - every 3 db is a doubling of power - SO:

50 watts into 11 dbd antenna - 630 watts

100 watts into 8 dbd antenna - 631 watts...

OK - they are about equal...now what about maintenance, cost of antenna,
etc.  The 11db antenna would probably have a sharper pattern, and require a
larger rotator.  But then there is the cost of the amp, etc.

At this point - it is probably just an economic decision, as well as a
"hassle" question - which is the least hassle to set up and maintain.....

Scott, aka KB0FHP