Re: [TowerTalk] Preserving Guy cables

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kc8hz@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preserving Guy cables
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 06:52:16 EST

In a message dated 12/31/2006 5:06:48 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  As we all know, steel rusts. Ziebart has made a big business  in
preserving
cars from rusting. Their primary ingredient is linseed oil.  I have been
thinking about soaking the coil of guy in a bucket of warm  linseed so it
seeps into the nooks and crannies of the cable. This should  effectively
passivate the cable for quite a few years.

    Umm, not really. I don't know of any  wire cable manufacturer that
recommends that so I won't either. There are  commercial tower companies that
have
techniques and tools to lubricate big  cables on big towers but there's nothing
required for ham tower guys.

    Galvanized EHS will last for 20-30 years if left  alone so I wouldn't
worry about it. Besides, the linseed oil will get washed  out in less than a
year
so you're really not accomplishing anything. I sure  wouldn't want to work
with those slippery, slimy guy wires anyway.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH