Re: [TowerTalk] Pucker Power

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pucker Power
From: Ethan <>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:36:03 -0500
Michael J. Castellano wrote:
> Dunno, maybe I survived 30+ years as a tower jock by being TOO cautious.
> I see some  problems with the antenna work in the pix.  Short pants, no
> hardhat, standing on a bar. One slip off that bar... The belt will probably
> hold, but the shock will cause a bit of pain. It will also bend the boom,
> causing a slide, causing even more bending. Looks like a slam into the
> tower... no hard hat, remember? short pants equals gouged legs...
> The crane would cost around $500 or so... cheap insurance.
> just an opinion, mind you...
> Lets be real careful up there.
> KM1R

I do commercial tower work, and I would
definitely recommend a hard hat
and long pants.  But one thing I will
not do is ride a crane!  I can
control what I do on a tower, but I have
absolutely no control over a
crane.  Yes, sometimes you have to do
what you have to do, and I have
often had to stand on pipes and bars
mounted off a tower, even further
out (and perhaps higher up - I don't see
any lights on that tower) than
that guy is.  I just make sure I'm tied
to something solid, preferably a
tower leg, and I'm very careful!  This
means I'm careful about where I
put my feet, I always use a hard hat
(you never know if someone might
have left a loose bolt or worse sitting
on a brace above you somewhere)
and long pants (I don't like gouged legs
either!) and I don't accept
rides from friendly crane operators!

Ethan KC8HES