Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connectors

To: ve3zi@rac.ca, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connectors
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:17:27 -0800
At 09:54 PM 1/10/2007, Roger Parsons wrote:
>... "When the Navy (I believe it was) and their
>contractors developed coax and the resulting
>connectors for use on board their ships they named
>them UHF" ...
>
>And a little Googling will show that the US Navy
>developed neither coax nor 'UHF' connectors!
>
>Coaxial cable: Herman Affel (1893-1972), Lloyd
>Espenschied (1889-1986): AT&T Bell Telephone
>Laboratories, 1929. (Siemens and Tesla had both also
>earlier patented the concept, but did not describe the
>application for radio frequencies.)

And, even earlier than that (1850s) Kirchoff described the
propagation charateristics in a coaxial transmission line as being a
case of a second order differential equation based on Kelvin's
observation that propagation might be similar to the diffusion
equation.  Sometime later Heaviside formulated a generic version of
the transmission line equations derived on Maxwell's equations.

So, coaxial lines, in at least some forms, antedate Affel's work.