Re: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Towers Brought Down!]

To: "'Cqtestk4xs@aol.com'" <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>,TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Towers Brought Down!]
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:17:52 -0800
::But if a tower falls and nobody's there to hear it, does it make a noise?

-WB2WIK/6

What  does surprise me, though, is that it is standard practice in the
business for  ham-sized guyed towers to use only three ground anchor points,
to each
of  which all the guys on that side are connected through equalizer plates.

I'm sure the theory is that a guy wire will break before the guy anchor
does,
 but it seems to me that putting the top guy set on separate anchor rods
(maybe  even in the same concrete foundation, but a few feet further out)
would
provide a useful bit of redundancy and prevent the whole thing falling over

like a cut tree if the anchor rod fails, through corrosion or other unseemly

contingency.

73, Pete N4ZR