Re: [TowerTalk] Tower near Airport

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower near Airport
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:08:14 EST

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 20 Jan  2007 03:25:36 -0600
From: "rca" <>
Subject:  [TowerTalk] tower at airport

I want to put up a 60 foot tower at  32:47:30.797 N, 98:03:28.370.  This is
1800 feet northeast of runway  13/31 at the Mineral Wells, Texas airport
(KMWL).  The airport manager,  K5MWL, told me that where I am located anything
up to
75 feet in height would  be 'no problem'.  I am concerned about the FCC rule
about 1 foot of  height for every 100 feet from the airport.  I don't want to
invest time  and money into the installation only to have the FAA/FCC tell me
later that I  am in violation.

The way I read the FCC rule in Part 17 (17.6)  of 47 CFR, I need to notify
the FAA and possibly get a waiver from them to  present to the FCC.  I don't
fully understand all this. Can anyone tell  me what I need to do?

Richard Allen,  W5SXD

You can check here:
to see if your tower will exceed the requirements in Part 17.  If it  does,
you will have to submit a form to do an FAA study and they will determine  what
obstruction markings (painting and lighting) will be required, if  any.
Don / KW7R