[TowerTalk] Internet Antenna Elevation

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Internet Antenna Elevation
From: "brian" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 21:10:47 -0500

            I come seeking knowledge.

                        I am not a radio person, but I know that a fair
number of you will be able to help me.  I am however an electronic engineer
with good mechanical skills.

            I live in rural Indiana and the result of this is that getting a
decent internet service is a challenge ( my employer requires that I have
something!! )

            However the water company in the nearest town has started
offering a WISP from the top of their water tower.  They are using Motorola
Canopy @ 2.x GHz.

            The water tower is 2.3miles away.

            BEHIND TREES

            So I need to raise a small (100mm X 300mm -4" X 12") antenna up
into the air to clear the trees

            Local ordinance limits me to 54' - my house is 24'to the apex +

            I believe that 40' will clear the trees.

            So what I need is to raise a small antenna so that it will not
deflect in the wind 24'+ above the apex of my house.

            Could I do this with a pole mounted to the gable end and guyed?

                        We have a staggered roof line with a gable in the
middle of the house.

            Or should I go and get a stayed tower? - More expensive.

            I may also mount a TV antenna, but that is in the attic at the
moment and is working just fine so I am inclined to leave it alone.

I appreciate your consideration and replies