Re: [TowerTalk] Why a Prop Pitch?

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <NPAlex@aol.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>, <w0tmm@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why a Prop Pitch?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:08:37 -0800

> Just as a question, since I have my Baldor catalog handy, what is the
> inside diameter of one of the telescoping tubular towers?  (i.e. how
> small does the motor have to be?).   It might well be that a standard
> Jim, W6RMK

Not tubular towers, rather lattice type crankups.  UST has
those dimensions on its web site.  For the "5" series towers,
the max diameter is 8.25 inches.

Besides this constraint, you would like to be able to get
the rotor in from the side.  You can't drop it in the top
(at least on my HDX5106), and it would be a major hassle
to bring it up from the bottom, because you would have to tilt
the tower over, remove the positive pull down stuff,
stuff the rotor in the bottom past the positive pull down
mount, and then reinstall the pull down.

It turns out that you can disassemble a prop pitch into
3 pieces and get it in from the side, then put it back together
again.

Another approach used is to cut out a tower brace and replace
it with a removable one.  I would hate to butcher a tower like
this, unless it was just a Rohn 45 section.

Rick N6RK