Re: [TowerTalk] rotors, controllers, etc.

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <towerTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rotors, controllers, etc.
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:19:31 -0800
The problem is that big antennas have a lot of wind load
and a lot of momentum.  With any backlash at all, they
can bang back and forth using the element flexing to store
energy.  This violent jerking, which is hard to analyze
using conventional engineering techniques, is what tears
apart rotors.

The prop pitch has a track record of not breaking under
these conditions.  Conventional gearmotors from the
"Motorbook" may or may not be able to handle this.  The
torque ratings on them only tell you if they can turn
the antenna.  If I was going to experiment with those,
I would want to get something with gears of comparable
size to the prop-pitch.  Look at the gears on K7NV's site.
Pretty big, and there are three of them to share the load.

Another thing you might look at are those ubiquitous 12VDC
winches that you put on your SUV to pull it out of the mud.
They mention 8000 lbs, although it isn't clear if that is
the pulling force, or the vehicle weight (on a limited grade).
Anyway, you could perhaps modify one of those winches to
turn an antenna.  Getting the 12VDC (at "too many" amps)
up to the rotor is going to be another problem.

Rick N6RK