[TowerTalk] Tri-Ex HS 588

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex HS 588
From: "charles mcneil" <calchuck@hughes.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 06:20:47 -0700
    I am building a wind generator and have bought a Tri-Ex HS 588 tower from a
neighbor. This was evidently a three section 58' crank-up tower but the top
section was missing.
    I want to weld in some support plates in the top and install a 12' piece of
schedule 40 pipe to set my generator on. the generator will weigh about 250 lbs
with blades.
    The local building inspector tells me I will have to have an engineering
report saying the tower can be used for the purpose. I plan to guy the tower at
20' and again at about 40' but have no idea how guying a self supporting tower
affects it's wind load capacity.
    Does anyone have any specs on this tower? Anyone have any suggestions on
how to deal with this problem? I have looked into new towers but quickly found
out that I would have more money in the tower than I could ever get out of
Renewable Energy.
    Thanks for your thoughts and time, CHUCK