Re: [TowerTalk] Is there such a thing as Overkill

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w7psk@w7psk.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Is there such a thing as Overkill
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 06:42:24 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2007 5:09:45 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,

>  As you know when weather gets better up here in Seattle I'm  putting up a
Glen Martin 9ft with an A4S on it.

>  My old  HD73s looked tired so I bargained with the boss (Wife) and just
ordered the  Yaesu G-800DXA.   Its a 20sqft rotor with a 1299 K  rating.

>  The A4S with the 40m is like 6sf.

>  the G-450 may have handled it fine (A 10sf rotor) ... but I  thought since
I got the ok to go for the bigger.

>  Over kill  ?

    It's kinda hard to have overkill with a rotator.  If it's capacity is
bigger than it's actual load, it just won't be working as  hard - always a good
thing to extend its service life. The rotator is the weak  link in the
rotatable antenna chain so any time you can increase its  reliability, you're
ahead.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH