Re: [TowerTalk] Stepper Antennas and Shunt Feed Towers

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stepper Antennas and Shunt Feed Towers
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:32:58 -0500
I have a related question: How close to the tower can the shunt wire be?

I'm putting up a 3-stack of 4-el SteppIRs on TIC rings (the top one is up
already.) A shunt feed wire would have to be threaded through the TIC rings,
giving it only a few inches of clearance from the tower and ring. Assuming I
can fabricate standoffs that will keep the wire from touching any metal
parts, will the proximity of the wire to the tower and/or ring cause
problems? One person suggested spacing the wire further from the tower
between rings, then looping in to thread through each ring. Any reason to do
that?

Perhaps I should consider a different type of antenna for 160m?

73, Dick WC1M