Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering RG213 to PL259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering RG213 to PL259
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 08:09:43 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:26:32 -0800 , Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com> wrote:

>I'd stay away from the Amphenol "RFX" PL-259s, which can be found with a
>Teflon dielectric

I agree. Teflon has a nasty characteristic called "cold flow" which
means it will deform over a period of time due to simple mechanical
pressure. While I have not personally heard of this causing a problem
in coax connectors, I don't believe the other benefits of Teflon
outweigh the risk. Ordinary phenolic has been used for decades with no
problem at amateur power levels.

This is not one of those "sky is falling" kind of warnings. If you
choose Teflon it will probably work ok. Just be aware.

Bill, W6WRT