Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Re: Managing Balanced line transitions

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: Re: Managing Balanced line transitions
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 07:08:32 -0800
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:16:44 -0600, Cecil Moore wrote:

> A husky 1:1
>choke with a few thousand ohms of choking impedance works well to
>reduce the common-mode current. If the choke is placed at a balanced
>to unbalanced junction, it is also functioning as an elementary balun.

There are some serious misconceptions here.

Transformer baluns and choke baluns are fundamentally different. A
transformer balun MUST have low loss (all the transmitter power goes
through the core, so loss converts it to heat), while a choke balun works
far better if it has a lot of loss -- only the common mode current excites
the core, and a high value of (resistance) loss is better if it reduces the
common mode current to a very small value.

A transformer balun makes a poor choke balun, and a choke balun makes a
lousy transformer balun.

You may find the material on baluns in my RFI tutorial helpful.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC