Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Bolts Needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Bolts Needed
From: Ethan <ethan@ravenscall.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 04:55:10 -0500
Pat Barthelow wrote:
> Looking for 4 sets (24 Bolts, 12 ea of two sizes, as I recall) of Rohn 25
> Bolts....
Rohn tower bolts can be found in many hardware stores.  Use grade 5,
fine-thread zinc-plated bolts, 1.5" long, three 1/4" and three 5/16"
bolts per section.  This is exactly what Rohn has shipped with their
towers for decades.  Don't use the more common coarse thread bolts -
they're not as strong, since the threads are deeper, and are more likely
to come loose.  Tighten them until the section joints can't jiggle up
and down, gripping the inner tube per Rohn specs, and the 1.5" bolts
will have just enough threads to secure the nut without having bolt ends
sticking out to catch things on.  Being zinc plated rather than hot-dip
galvanized, these bolts will eventually rust, but I've taken down towers
that had stood for decades and the rusted bolts were still secure.

Ethan KC8HES