Re: [TowerTalk] tower bases and weight versus surrounding ground

To: "'Jeff Kinzli'" <kinzli@kinzlicoils.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower bases and weight versus surrounding ground
From: "W5LT" <W5LT@tx.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 07:22:15 -0600
Jeff:
It is possible to design a foundation that can just sit on the ground and
resist the over turning moment (OTM) of the tower/antennas. The soil
underneath must support the compression forces that can exist however, hence
you see the terms "soil resistance" or similar in the tower foundation
drawings. The foundation must be designed to be very strong (lots of re-bar)
so as not to flex or crack, since there is no surrounding support.
Large area, not very thick slabs are used frequently to support earth
station antennas for example.
The most common style tower foundation is the small area, very deep
foundation, usually because it uses the least amount of concrete and is
therefore theoretically cheaper. These do depend significantly on the soil
resistance to prevent 'rotation' due to the OTM. A traffic light stanchion
foundation is a typical example. The optimum foundation design would depend
on the soil characteristics at the site. The drawings supplied by the tower
manufacturer are only 'typical' and specify a soil resistance assumption,
but are usually conservative.
73s
Bob, W5LT