Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Foundations, II

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,<brentbaum5323@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Foundations, II
From: <hdmc38@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:29:34 -0500
You need a friend in the building department! It may go a little easier if you
have a local contractor secure the permit instead of an owner builder.Someone
they know and knows the process to secure a building permit.You may need an
electrical permit also.Chapter 8 from the NEC has all kinds of
requirements.Like the man said it's their game,you need to learn how to play
it.Hope this helps.

                                73 Joe K4XZ

> From: K7LXC@aol.com
> Date: 2007/02/14 Wed AM 07:45:20 EST
> To: towertalk@contesting.com,  brentbaum5323@msn.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Foundations, II
>

> In a message dated 2/12/2007 4:01:33 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
> towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>
> >  Zoning is clear, my small community here in Utah even has a  version of
> the
> PRB-1 on their books, in addition to county, state and  federal exemptions!
>
> >  My stumbling block is the building  department; they want an engineer
> certified drawing of the 3x3x4 (or 5 or  6) reinforced concrete block. The
> real problem are the PE's, the least  expensive quote I have received so far
> is $350, and that's if I do the  drawing and spec the rebar cage!!
>

>     $350 is pretty reasonable but I'm not sure how  you're going to spec the
> rebar cage yourself unless you use the factory  specs.
>
> >  Suggestions, ideas, on how to persuade the building  department that most
> of
> the nationally published drawings are virtually  the same and reflect good
> engineering practices?
>

> That's what their building regulations are for.  Their codes reflect
> habitable buildings and they've probably never encountered  a tower
> application before
> so you're expected to comply with everything, even  if common sense tells you
> it's not really necessary. And a lot of times it  isn't.
>
> >  Are there good sources of generic drawings in addition to  the one in the
> ARRL antenna book?
>
>     The Rohn catalog is an excellent source of  factory specs and drawings
> for guyed and self-supporting towers. Even if your  tower isn't a Rohn, you
> can
> still make some educated inferences.
>
>     Most building departments require PE stamped  packages these days. It's a
> cost of putting up a tower any more.
>
> >  Finally I know our building department will accept an  already "stamped"
> drawing from another source, at least they did for my  house which is only
> vaguely similar to the drawing they accepted, i.e.  it's rectangular and has
> a basement.
>
>     That might be helpful but it's still THEIR game  and rules.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve     K7LXC
> TOWER TECH -
> Professional tower services for hams