Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Opposite Polarity 2/440 Beams

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Opposite Polarity 2/440 Beams
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:39:20 -0800
>I need one to be vertically polarized and the
>other horizontal.

An important quibble about the word "polarity" -- the correct
meaning is describing the voltage reference for the signal in an
electrical circuit -- what in the old days, before we knew better,
we called phase. That is, we change the polarity by reversing the
wires, or by passing the signal through an inverting gain stage.
Polarity has two values -- normal and inverted.

Polarization is what you're talking about -- that is, the physical
orientation of the EM field produced by an antenna, which for most
antennas is parallel to the radiating element.

The third confused quantity is phase, it is measured in degrees, and
it defines the relationship between two sine waves of the same
frequency.

The polarity of waves can be modified by reflection, depending on
their polarization with respect to the reflecting surface.

I'm pointing this out, not to be a PITA, but because MANY
misunderstandings about how things work result from these words
being incorrectly used.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC