Re: [TowerTalk] parasitic elements for vertical arrays

To: w2cdo@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] parasitic elements for vertical arrays
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:11:46 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:58:07 +0000, w2cdo@comcast.net wrote:

>Again, apologies for being a little off topic.  In my ongoing quest to get
>more for less, I'm planning to put a 40 meter Hamstick .15 wavelength south of
>my multiband vertical in an effort to get some directionality for north polar
>paths.  Kinda curious to see if this will work.  So here's my question: do I
>need to lay out radials for the parasitic element or will it function (an
>unproven assumption) without them?

Yes, you do need radials, but you raise an interesting question. If
your multiband vertical is full size, I'm wondering how well a
parasitic element will function if it is much shorter, even though it
is resonant. What I'm thinking is that it will intercept only part of
the field from the driven element because of its shortness. This is
just a hypothetical question, I have no experience with such an
arrangement.

Perhaps some modeling with EZNEC is in order?

Bill W6WRT