Re: [TowerTalk] ferrite beads was...Re: [RFI] HIGH POWER and RFI...

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ferrite beads was...Re: [RFI] HIGH POWER and RFI...
From: "Jim Brown" <>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 08:03:22 -0800
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 23:40:40 -0800, Marlon K. Schafer wrote:

>Out of my 25ish tower sites I have a couple that are a LOT of trouble.
>Can't find any other cause so I'm hoping that it's just a simple harmonic or
>induction on the cat5 cables.

That's pretty vague. What sort of trouble? What sort of system? What is the
ethernet doing?

Ferrite chokes can effectively kill common-mode antenna behavior of ethernet
lines at HF if you use the right materials and wind them appropriately. BUT:
I've never seen an RFI problem with ethernet systems RECEIVING interference,
only generating it, and I've run 1 kW in VERY close proximity to my ethernet
wiring. Perhaps there's enough error correction to prevent data errors when
RFI occurs.

The tutorial at the link above may give you some troubleshooting ideas.

Jim Brown K9YC