[TowerTalk] MonstIR vs Monobander

To: "'reflector -tower'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MonstIR vs Monobander
From: "Mike Fatchett" <mike@mallardcove.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 19:13:58 -0700

Stacking multiband antennas is always a compromise.  There is no magic
spacing that will work great for each band especially when you are talking
about an antenna that covers 40-6m.

I didn't read the article but is we are talking stacks or 6 or 7 element
monobanders I would expect them to beat the a 4 element SteppIR with the
same spacing.  There are a number of stacking games and phasing games that
can be played.  Stacks can be optimized for gain/FB/ etc.

The picture looks like the STeppIR stack was spaced for either 20m or 40m
and the bottom antenna looked fixed. So there would only be gain in one
direction.

If you have room for multiple rotating towers or rings and big monobanders
go for it.  If not I would be pretty happy with a stack of MonstIR's on a
140-120ft tower.