Re: [TowerTalk] Roller Inductors

To: W6SX Hank Garretson <>,
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Roller Inductors
From: kd4e <>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:10:50 -0400
Clean the roller surface with a dry non-metallic kitchen
scrubbie, wipe clean with a dust-free soft cloth, then
find some molybdenum or at least the "DuPont Performance"
(moly and teflon) treat the roller and contact surfaces
with it.

The "moly" lubricates without attracting and holding
dust and other small abrasive, insulating, and/or acidic
debris -- unlike most lubricants.

And yes, it generally is more expensive!  :-)

I am guessing that your roller *may* be silver coated;
someone else here would have to address the nature of
a cleaning substance specific to a silver coated
surface that will not harm conductivity or attack the
roller core.

BTW:  Does your roller have a ceramic form or is it
nothing-but-air, as the "March Madness" hoop fanatics
would put it, under the coil?

HTH ...

> I recently returned to the air after an eight year absence.  The
> roller inductors in my Nye MB-V-A and my Ten Tec 4229 antenna tuners
> have corroded and are intermittent.  I have squirted contact cleaner
> on the coils and rollers and run the rollers back and forth with no
> improvement.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
> 73, Hank, W6SX
> Mammoth Lakes, California

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E