Re: [TowerTalk] Roller Inductors

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Roller Inductors
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:49:36 +1300
> I recently returned to the air after an eight year absence.  The
> roller inductors in my Nye MB-V-A and my Ten Tec 4229 antenna tuners
> have corroded and are intermittent.  I have squirted contact cleaner
> on the coils and rollers and run the rollers back and forth with no
> improvement.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
> 73, Hank, W6SX
> Mammoth Lakes, California

The RCA manual for their AT3 transmitter (WW2) recommended a mixture of
anhydrous lanolin and carbon tetrachloride as a lubricant for the roller
I still have some anhydrous lanolin but carbon tet is no longer available in NZ.

My local chemist ('drugstore' in US) sold me a small bottle of
trichloroethylene after
strict examination and sure information from the RCA manual revealed that my
intentions were entirely legal.
This mixture works very well - one of these big roller inductors (edge-wound)
is in
daily use in a "C-L-C" antenna tuner and has not needed any maintenance during
three years of serious CW contesting - not bad for 1942 manufacture.

I salvaged several roller inductors and big Hammond variable capacitors from
AT3 - all were covered in dust, gunge and mould.   While the XYL was away
her mother, I put them all through the dishwasher - ceramic end-plates came out
pristine white and the metal looked brand-new.

73, Ken ZL1AIH (one of the ZM1A Team)