[TowerTalk] Self Support for wires

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Self Support for wires
From: "jliley@earthlink.net" <jliley@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 17:26:33 -0500

I'm looking to weld together steel pipe to make three self supporting   [flag
poles]   to hold up a 135' dipole.

The "FLAG POLE"  needs to be 70' tall and set in concrete.    Does anyone have
the best pipe sizes and lengths per segment
to accomplish this?    I mean the step down sizes and lengths of each segment
to keep the weight low in elevation and the strength high.

My first thought was to copy the "BIG BERTHA" using much smaller pipe.   Maybe
start with 6" pipe at the bottom.

Would six segments divided equally be about right?    Or would it be best to
have the top sections quite a bit longer?

Jerry,   K0GUG     jliley@earthlink.net