Re: [TowerTalk] Tower winch failure

To: "Alan NV8A" <nv8a@att.net>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower winch failure
From: "Chuck Lewis" <clewis@knology.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:33:22 -0500
I'll try to add a little extra clarification (mostly from memory) about the
friction clutch: On the input shaft (that's the one with the crank handle)
there's a threaded section where one of the clutch parts is assembled. I
can't remember whether it's the friction disk or the pressure plate, and
it's not evident until you disassemble the thing. This threaded interface
causes the friction parts to be pressed MORE tightly together when the CABLE
is applying a load to the shaft. When the CRANK is applying a "pay-out"
motion, the clutch pressure is REDUCED...just enough to allow the drum to
move while still under control of the crank. It's a really clever design,
but not obvious until you take the parts off the input shaft. Bottom line:
the harder the cable pulls, the tighter the clutch grabs; but when you turn
it with the crank (OUT) , the clutch is "eased" and the cable will pay-out;
albeit with some predictable squealing. I remember the "AHA!" feeling I had
when I got the thing apart and realized how elegantly simple and effective
the design was. One important note in the instructions: after reversing the
winch (OUT...lowering the tower), you should crank (IN) through at least one
pawl ratchet in order to "set" the clutch.

I was able to buy a refurb. kit from Fulton a few years ago for $15 or
so...it had a new pawl, spring, etc...all the critical parts and those
subject to wear or rust. I think I just called and ordered on the landline.
Even if the cost has increased, it's a cheap and easy step to peace of mind!

73,
Chuck, N4NM
(hoping his memory hasn't slipped)