Re: [TowerTalk] Inexpensive thrust bearing?

To: Rob Frohne <>,
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inexpensive thrust bearing?
From: <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:35:13 -0500 (CDT)

     Use a block of wood.  My Rohn catalog from ca 1987 carried a thing they
called an Amateur Block (P/N AB) that was intended to be bolted onto a flat top
plate.  It was nothing more than a block of wood with an appropriate hole for a
mast drilled through it.  IIRC it might have even been split through the
diameter of the hole to allow for some slop in its fit around the mast.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: Rob Frohne <>
Date: 2007/03/21 Wed PM 12:06:59 CDT
Subject: [TowerTalk] Inexpensive thrust bearing?

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a source for an inexpensive thrust bearing?  I have a
plate on the top of my tower with a hole through it, and was thinking of
putting a thrust bearing on, but the ones I found were around $50 which
for my frugal self is a bit spendy for a thrust bearing.  It seems that
there is probably a cheaper way to do this with some kind of automobile
bearing or a sleeve of pipe and some set screws, etc.  Does anyone have
any advice?

Rob, KL7NA
Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.
E.F. Cross School of Engineering