Re: [TowerTalk] Variable phasing networks?

To: <frohro@wwc.edu>, "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Variable phasing networks?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 05:27:13 -0800
You can replace a delay line of theta degrees with a lumped
equivalent consiting of a pi network having a series inductor with
a reactance of Zo sin theta and two shunt capacitors
with reactance of Zo/[tan (theta/2)].  You can build what
appears to be an antenna tuner using two air variable
capacitors and a roller inductor.  You will need to put
calibrated dials on the three components and then set them to
the correct values for the delay you want.  (You would want
to make a lookup table using the formulas above).  Alternately,
you could have a three gang rotary switch that selects
fixed capacitors and coil taps, again based on the formula
I quoted above.  Additionally, you could simply use lumped
pi networks to replace coax in the binary line configuration
you mentioned.

Rick Karlquist N6RK