[TowerTalk] Mobile antenna for SUV

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mobile antenna for SUV
From: "DrJCMonty" <DrJCMonty@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:37:59 -0500
Dear Roger,

With the greatest respect, I NEVER thought I would have the opportunity to
offer you advice.  I hope I am up to it.

I have a '06 Highlander (not hybrid) on which I have installed a Little
Tarheel II.  I have it in the center of the rear cross vehicle luggage rack
bar.  Using braided strap that bar is effectively (dc) electrically attached
to the roof.  I tried to find a way to lower the antenna by motor, but have
not succeeded yet, so I am careful in banks and other drive-trough's. I tune
it with an auto tuner - the N2VZ turbo tuner, attached to an IC-7000.  With
the exception of occasionally choosing the wrong direction to begin to tune,
I think it all works fine together. 80M is inconsistently tuned, but 40, and
even 60M work fine.  It is NOT home antenna quality, but it is significantly
better than a dummy load.  I talked to Italy on the way to work last fall, a
chicken farmer in Tierra del Fuego at dinner time this past winter, and the
US Southwest is never any trouble at lunchtime.  Others may smirk, but this
is still exciting to me.

I would be happy to provide details if you like.

Jim Montgomery
AG4KM Memphis