Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 and stacking questions

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 and stacking questions
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:25:36 -0500
On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 11:32:03AM -0500, Fred Hopengarten wrote:
> K0XG will manufacture a "Star Guy Bracket" for your Rohn 25.
> This will materially improve the resistance to torque of Rohn
> 25, and still save money over a conversion to new Rohn 45/55...

I have the star bracket on my 99' stick of Rohn 25, and I can
recommend it highly.   I guy at 30, 60 and 90 feet, with the
star bracket at 90 feet. The bracket makes for a very stable
installation. It does require an extra set of top guys. I wound
up swapping all of my EHS guys for Phillystran ten years ago.
That's another task that I should have just done correctly right
from the start. Pictures at this link:

I think that your proposed four (4) sets of guy wires is too
many for  80 feet.  You should need three at the most.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have gone with Rohn
45 from the start, so that I could safely add a 40 meter yagi.
Unfortunately, the tower went up before I started contesting,
and I didn't know any better then.  Now I wish I'd spent the
extra money and put up Rohn 45 in the first place.  I'm lucky
to have trees to support my 40 meter wire yagi to Europe.

-Kirk  K4RO