Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering radial plate question

To: "a TowerTalk COL" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering radial plate question
From: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:47:35 -0400
One time for a 160 meter tee vertical I made a grounding plate out of soft
copper water tubing that would be used for an ice make in a refrigerator. I
shaped it into a ring and soldered 64 radials to it. The soldering job was a
real pain and eventually the soldered connections started to degrade. I
built a second one and sprayed the soldered connections with clear spray
paint but eventually the spray paint fell apart due to UV from the Sun and
the connections once again.

So I bought one of the DX Engineering stainless steel grounding plates. It
was a pain to solder lugs on each of the radials for attachment to the
plate. I put some heat shrink tubing on each of the lugs to protect the
soldered joint from degradation and all has been fine for a couple of years.

Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Lakeland, FL, USA

KN4LF SWL & Amateur Radio Autobiography:
New Scientific Evidence for the Existence of God: