Re: [TowerTalk] Radial connecting plates

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial connecting plates
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:11:02 +0000
I use a piece of 2" wide heavy gauge copper strap which surrounds the base of the tower in a rectangular ring. The radials are silver-soldered to the strap, and there are 4 pieces of strap soldered to the ring and leading to the ground connection at the base of the tower. The ring and radial terminations are buried about 2" below the surface of the soil. If you cannot find copper strap in your local area, ordinary 3/8" copper tubing should work just as well. I salvaged my copper strap from some kind of large air-core rf transformers I stumbled across at a surplus outlet. Copper strap is generally used to ground broadcast towers, so anyone who performs tower maintenance should be able to get you a few feet.

I think this is a MUCH better method than one of those plates with screws to attach each radial, and a lot cheaper, even considering the recently inflated price of copper. I would consider the plates a waste of money.

But never, ever use regular lead/tin solder for any connection that may come in contact with the earth. I found long ago that my soil attacks the soldered connections, and very quickly turns the solder into a white powder. I once had a radial system soldered together with lead/tin, and had to routinely re-solder all the radials about once a month. Otherwise, the solder deteriorated and the radials would literally fall off the ring.

So the last time around I used a silver-alloy brazing rod, purchased from a plumbing supply outlet. The rods come in about 18" lengths, in the form of a flat rod, about 1/8" in diameter. No flux is needed; copper wicks up the molten alloy almost like a sponge wicks up water. All I ever had to do was clean the copper well enough to remove any loose scales of oxide or any paint, grease or other contaminant. An ordinary butane torch won't heat the copper hot enough, but MAPP gas, that is sold in a cylinder much like butane, will do the job; it should be available at the same plumbing supplier as the rods. The copper must be heated to a dull red glow - but be careful; the MAPP gas is capable of overheating and melting the radial wire! Once the copper is heated just enough to melt the alloy, you simply apply the brazing rod to the copper and it should take the molten solder immediately.

I built my 160m vertical in 1983, and whenever I periodically check the brazed connections (every 2-3 years), they look as good as they did the day I soldered them. They solder turned a dark charcoal grey the day I assembled the radials and that's exactly how I find them to-day whenever I inspect the connections.

Don k4kyv

Live Search Maps ? find all the local information you need, right when you need it. http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag2&FORM=MGAC01