Re: [TowerTalk] Radials - What is the big deal?

To: "Lee Buller" <k0wa@swbell.net>,"TowerTalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials - What is the big deal?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 02:00:51 -0700
From: "Lee Buller" <k0wa@swbell.net>

> Radials....
>
> My, this is a all consuming issue here on tower talk.  What kind of wire
> to use?  Conductive wire.  Anything will do that conducts like copper.  I
> would not put down nichrome wire...but I would use just about anything.
> There is no magic here.  Use coax if you have it....just use the outer
> braid... or short the two conductions together.  Use electric fence wire.
> Use steel...watch out for rust...and it will rust away after awhile.  Use
> aluminum.
>
> Here is what I am using right now....because it was FREE!  Two conductor
> (18 gauge) garage door opener wire.  You know, the wire that goes from the
> button by the door to the opening unit.  The stuff that is wired to the
> sensors.  They give about 200 feet in each opener kit.  The garage
> installer has gobs of the stuff laying around.  I bet I have 15 rolls of
> the stuff.  I just twist the ends together and solder them with a gun.
> Down on the ground they go.  And yes, they work OK...I radiate...the MFJ
> 269 says everything is good to go...and I make gobs of contacts with it.
> I don't bury it...I don't strip it....I just lay it in the grass and use
> home made (cheap) lawn staples about every 5 feet.
>

> For radials....use conductive wire.  Use as many as you can....32 seems to
> be the magic number but also I've heard 50 or 60 as well.  If you cannot
> get a quarter wave each on the ground....do what you can....cut it off at
> the property line.
>
> Bond them together with just about anything.  Remember, you will have to
> pull maintenance on antennas anyway....so revisit this often throughout
> the year.  When metals are out in the elements...something is bound to
> corrode.
>
> Use anything conductive....  wire, pipe, railroad track, I-Beam ir H-Beam.
> What ever you got that is handy or cheap.    I would not use chain link
> fence or chicken wire.  The connections are good enough between the links
> in my opinion and dirt can cause problems in the radial.
>
> Remember, HR is not rocket science....do what works for you...what you can
> get away with...what you can afford...and remember not everyone has a
> super station or the dollars the installations is done perfectly.  The
> idea is to radiate enough to work someone.
>
> Lee - K0WA

The problem with radials is that it is oftentimes more work to accurately
determine the minimum number necessary for a given location than it is
to just put down a whole bunch of wire and be done with it. Also, I
think everyone will agree that more radials is always better, so adding
more will never hurt system performance. It just a question of at what
point to do you reach diminishing returns. Some will argue that it is after
the 1st radial is installed. Other will argue that it is # 360 (see W8LRL
pics on K3BU's site). I agree with KN4LF that it is likely a strong
function of ground conductivity. Where I am on dry rocky soil, 361
radials might equal a rusty ground rod at the old KS8S/AD8P qth in
Deshler, Ohio where ground conductivity was super high.

BTW, at my present QTH I pretty much use Lee's philosophy - if it's
metal, tie it into the ground system - Mo' is betta! -:)