Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: info on radials repartition...

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: info on radials repartition...
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:09:10 -0700
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:10:47 EDT, W8AV@aol.com wrote:

>It  may
>effect the match of the 80 meter arry array a small amount at  the feed point
>of the array, but it should not be a serious  problem.

I disagree. Matching is trivial. My concern is the pattern. I would expect to
see little change in the lobes, but significant degradation of the nulls. Maybe
you don't care about the nulls, but I've been in situations where nulls are
VERY helpful.

N6RO has quad and 4-square arrays for both 80 and 160 (nice, huh?). I was
working 80 during the recent WPX SSB, while N6RO was working 160 in the chair
next to me. Both of us found the nulls of his arrays very helpful in getting
rid of the very high QRN level coming from the east Friday night so that we
could work VK and JA.

73,

Jim K9YC