[TowerTalk] ASL2010 prelim report

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ASL2010 prelim report
From: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@va.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 07:46:12 -0500
Greetings,

Several of you gave me some ideas/feedback on a Log antenna.  Ended up
with the Cushcraft log ASL2010.  It is 8 elements on an 18 foot boom.

Just got it up to the 80 foot level this past week and so far I am
happy.  Worked quite a bit of DX and stateside.  SWR is under 2:1 as
advertised on 20-10 meters.  The SWR is a about 1.7 on the cw end of 20
mtrs.  And it is about the same on the 12 meter band.  Otherwise - it is
really flat SWR.  Seems to play quite well so far but time will tell.
Worked a few dozen JA stations in the JIDX contest over the weekend (on
20 meters).  Worked Nepal, Sudan and several Pacific stations on 20 and
17 meters.

I am hoping that on 17 meters it will be on par with a 2 or 3 element
Yagi and hopefully as good as a 2 element on 20 but as I say - time will
tell.  Particularly interesting was the SWR.  At 5 feet off the ground
20 meters was about 3 to 1 and it is now fine.  And on 12 meters it was
flat on the ground and now a little higher.  10,15 and 17 meters stayed
flat.  Thanks again for the input and I wanted to report.

CU in the BS7 pile up - hopefully.

73 de N5PHT, Gary