Re: [TowerTalk] Ladder Line

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ladder Line
From: Wa3a@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:34:46 EDT
I didnt like the loss figures for window line when wet so I homebrewed over
1000' of open wire line.  You can purchase it from W7FG.  I too struggled with
lightning protection and ended up using copper disconnect lugs at the house
and just disconnect the feeds and move them away from the house about 50'. Not
ideal but I feel good about it. There is a commercially made arrester (ICE I
think) for balanced lines.  I believe the spark plug gaps or anything similar
just wont react quick enough.
I feed a 160m dipole with open wire and use it on all bands.  The patterns
pretty much follow the antenna book. I believe the inverted vee config is
usually inferior to the flat-top patterns on all bands (especially the higher
bands)
but I think it will work well for you. Remember that the pattern on 40 will
be a clover-leaf, not broadside. (well I guess thats for a flat-top, probably
the inv vee will be different)
Knife switches are convenient but I wouldnt trust one to take a lightning hit
safely to ground.  Steve  WA3A