Re: [TowerTalk] Hardwired coax

To: john@kk9a.com, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardwired coax
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 08:50:45 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/2007 6:35:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
john@kk9a.com writes:

>  Are you sure that the stepper motors are functioning?

Yep. The antenna acts like an antenna and  functions normally.

>  The only time that
I've seen high SWR and yet the  antenna still functioned properly is when I
had a hairpin match  break.

    What hairpin match? SteppIRs have an internal  balun.

>  I don't believe the MonstIR uses any type of
match,  except for a 2:1 balun.  Could the balun be the cause?  I seriously
doubt it's from your splice, if done properly.

    The only way to check a balun is to substitute  another one. In the case
of the SteppIR, that's not possible.

    I think what the problem is is water ingress to  the dangling damaged
coax.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH