Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing rotator/control wires

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing rotator/control wires
From: "Phil Jung" <>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 19:07:21 -0400

Your comments on butt connectors are very timely. Any-old kind of butt
connector ain't the same.   Just completed an installation of
tower/beam/rotator, etc.  The rotator a Ham IV with the 9 pin (8 used) Amp
connector.  Since this connector is a pain to assemble, decided to use the
old one on a short leader of lighweight cable -  cut the cable, installed RS
butt connectors to an 8 pin trailer quick disconnect and then butt
connectors to the new HD (2 #16/ 6 #18)rotator control wires.  Thus giving
32 possibilities for connection failures.  You guessed it - worked fine on
the ground, but the stress of mounting the cable pulled some butt connectors
apart. A better crimping tool would have helped a bunch. Only the brake
release functioned.  Back up the tower and everything redone simply splicing
the wires and securing everything properly. Dumb, makes for a long day.

Getting older faster than getting smarter is painful.