Re: [TowerTalk] Tower in Tree

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower in Tree
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 09:31:08 -0400
You need to know which type of pine tree you are
working with, some are very sturdy and some very
weak.

Ask a local who is familiar with the trees in
your area which are the most and least sturdy.
The water oaks here in FL are almost indestructable,
the scrub oaks are something else entirely.

 From most pines you will also suffer large quantities
of pitch all over your tower making climbing dangerous
and service a nightmare.

Test this latter factor out by leaning an extension
ladder against your pine tree for a couple or three
weeks.  I made this mistake.  Yuck!

Oh, and in lightning-prone areas pine trees are known
to be lightning magnets - one of the sources of
lightning storm wildfires - we had 193 such fires
here in Florida as of last count.  If the tree burns
it will likely take your coax, rotator, and antennas
with it even if your tower survives.

Just some factors to consider - variables change
with geography.

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
Personal: http://bibleseven.com/kd4e.html