Re: [TowerTalk] Plenty of Ham Friends who climb towers

To: "'Lee Buller'" <>,"'TowerTalk Reflector'" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Plenty of Ham Friends who climb towers
From: "Bill Parry" <BPARRY@RGV.RR.COM>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:50:33 -0500

I stopped climbing towers some time ago. I was never comfortable asking
anyone to volunteer to climb my tower and work on the antennas. When I moved
to my current QTH, a small S. Texas town, I decided that it was time to stop
climbing (now 60+). I checked around and found that there were two companies
in the general area that do tower building and tower work. They were bonded.

I bought all the stuff to build the tower and the owner came over made a
couple of suggestions. He gave me a price of $1500 to build the 120 ft guyed
tower and put the two antennas on top. Since that time, if I need a rotator
replaced or other small job, I call and he sends out one or two guys for
$50/person per hour. Usually an hour is all it takes.

We live in a pretty depressed area so you might not be able to match those
prices but I bet you can find companies to do this kind of work in your
area. I think that ham radio would be a lot less appealing if you had some
young fellow fall off your tower while doing you a favor.

Bill, W5VX