Re: [TowerTalk] log software

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] log software
From: Bob Bogash <bobby1@rbogash.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 10:46:04 -0700
Hi Jack,

No, it wasn't DX4WIN.  I don't have any logging software, and I don't
have a computer in my ham shack (I do have 4 others in different parts
of the house.)

I was first licensed in 1957 or 58.  Like a lot of hams, I was out of
the hobby for a long time, but when I came back, I picked up my old ARRL
logbook, the one I had as a Novice, and just made a line notation about
a new call, and picked up where I left off.  That book has 44 years of
hamming in one volume!

In those days, you had to log every call - even an unanswered CQ.  I
pretty much still log all my stuff, and all by hand.  Sometimes in
contests (I'm just a casual contester), I make some Dupe calls, but not
too many - I remember or can locate most of my contacts pretty quick.
If I get a Dupe, of course, I log it too!

I also log a lot of data in the book - the radio, power level, antenna I
was using etc.  I like to study that kind of stuff.  Sometimes, in the
evening, I just glance through the book and recall some of my QSO's.
It's satisfying and a lot of fun!

Since I don't use the same radio all the time (many are boatanchors), or
prerecorded "CQ Contest" messages, or a boom mike, or a foot switch, (or
touch type!), I don't have enough hands to work the radio, key the mike,
and work the keyboard all at the same time.  With my mike pickle switch
in my left hand and my pen in the right, I'm good to go.

I'm a computer junky - have been since about 1980 - spend a lot of time
on the machine, so I'm not afraid of software or computers.  It's just I
think it's easier (and more fun) to hand log my stuff.  I don't submit
for contests so it makes no difference to me.  Actually, I only QSL when
asked, and I keep my own private WAS, DXCC records, etc.  I don't need
the ARRL to tell me I've done what I've done.  I know it - that's all
that counts from my end.  I've filled up quite a few logbooks in the
past few years - glad ARRL still prints them!

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks for the note,

73s

Bob B.
W7DDD