Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn BPC25G

To: <>, "Jim Garland" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn BPC25G
From: "Mark Robinson" <>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 21:17:21 -0400

>>Dont ever put a ground rod in the concrete base. A lightining strike can
>>easily explode the concrete.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> I've heard that for years, but I read recently (I think on the
> Polyphaser website, but I could be wrong) that that is an urban myth
> and that grounding a rebar cage is actually very desirable.  Does
> anybody know someone who's actually exploded a concrete base?
> Jim W8ZR

Connecting the rebar together and out of the top of the concrete as an
addition to the ground system is called a ufer ground. This uses the
conductivity of the damp concrete to couple to the soil. Do a google search
on ufer ground

I believe that you want to avoid having the rebar sticking out of the
concrete block into the soil underground as this is a direct path into the

Mark N1UK