Re: [TowerTalk] Taking up slack in wire antennas

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Taking up slack in wire antennas
From: Ian White GM3SEK <>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 23:07:01 +0100
w4ZW wrote:
>I've used bungee cord for some time.  I put in a loose  length of
>"Spectra" or "Deema" in the link that is my safety net if the bungee
>breaks.  You can double up the lengths/sizes and get whatever tension
>you want.  I've found the good sailing black bungee works pretty well.
>Be sure and sear the ends so they don't start unraveling.  I wrap my
>ends  with sailing tape as well.
Several years ago, we had a brainstorming session on this problem for my
'In Practice' column.

There were various suggestions involving weights, dual-diameter drums
etc. The wackiest idea was to have the tensioning weights disappear down
into a matched pair of ornamental wishing wells!

But the idea that actually worked was the loooong bungee cords.

73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)