Re: [TowerTalk] Guy cable questions

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy cable questions
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:21:30 +0000
>In a message dated 5/22/2007 6:01:24 A.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
> writes:
>1) How  do you know when you've got 400#'s of tension on the guy wires?
>2) How do  you cut 3/16" 7x19 cable? The stuff just laughs at my wire
>1.  Borrow or buy a Loos tension gauge.  It is invaluable for  doing what you
>want to do.
>2.  Borrow or buy a cable cutter at you local Home Depot/Loews.   A cheap one
>should run around $20-$25.
And as a lower cost alternative to Bill's #2 suggestion, this works:

Wrap a few turns of black electrical tape around the cable on both sides
of where you intend to cut it.  Then find a nice smooth rock and use an
ordinary hammer and a 1" steel chisel to cut the cable.  Be sure to wear
safety goggles!

Bud, W2RU